Eleanor Roosevelt Volleyball DIGS PINK

Alia Parker and Jade Washington

Eleanor Roosevelt High School’s halls buzzed with excitement as students, teachers, and school officials got ready for the volleyball team’s “Dig Pink” game against Charles H. Flowers High School. Held on Sept. 29th, “Dig Pink” is an event dedicated to raising money for breast cancer awareness. The team sells treats, wears pink accessories, and accepts donations, all to support the cause.

Members of the volleyball team said they have a lot of respect for breast cancer survivors, and wanted to do anything they could to help. Ukari Perkins, a senior on the team, said that they donate to “foundations that mean a lot to people,” because they “don’t want women to suffer anymore.” Sophomore administrator Mr. Shands said that he encouraged a lot of students to come out to the game because “any contribution that we can make to fight breast cancer is well worth it.”

The game against CHFHS was also very entertaining and worthy of support. Mr. Shands was “not sure what to expect from Flowers varsity,” but knew that our girls “have a lot of endurance and experience.” The Raiders started out very strong, winning both the first set (25 to 15) and second set (25 to 8). CHFHS fought back and tied, winning sets three (25 to 20) and four (25 to 20) by a close margin. But in the end the Raiders pulled out a win, winning the fifth and final set (15 to 5). This gave them two victories for the night, one on the court and one for their support.