The Stigmas Surrounding Greek Life: Are They True? Student Opinion

Nancy Vu, Co-Editor-in-Chief

What students usually expect when entering a fraternity or sorority is the fun of pledging, the feeling of acceptance among peers, and the promise of family-hood. What students don’t expect, but inevitably encounter in some groups, are racist incidents, discrimination, hazing, and just plain cruelty.

In 2015, the Sigma Alpha Epsilon (S.A.E.) fraternity from the University of Oklahoma were caught on video singing a racially offensive song, with lyrics that referenced lynching, used the term “nigger,” and implied that black students could never be accepted into the fraternity. According to the Huffington Post, the song was taught to pledges as part of the pledging process for the past 4 years, and has established itself as part of “the institutionalized culture of the chapter.” Upon the video surfacing, S.A.E’s national headquarters shut down the university’s chapter, evicted the students from the fraternity house, and expelled two students who had leadership roles in promoting the song to students.

In response to this incident, senior Kyra Chambers said that this “doesn’t surprise” her.

“It’s not all frats and sororities that are doing this,” said Chambers. “But frequently, when people get into groups like these, they feel as though they have found their place in this world and they are invincible. They become insensitive, which is why they promote rape culture, racism, sexism, and everything in the book. Because the group is hand selected, people with the same mindset can easily congregate with each other and never realize how insensitive they are being. They will never feel as though they are in the wrong because they have an entire group backing their ignorance and hatred.”

The S.A.E. controversy has not been the only incident of its kind associated with Greek-letter organizations.

In 2014, another fraternity from the University of Pennsylvania, Phi Delta Theta, posed for a Christmas card picture with a black blow-up doll, which the group claimed to be a Beyoncé sex toy. Behind them in two bookcases were what appeared to be framed pictures of two Confederate generals. The group, whose members were primarily white, has since apologized for the incident, and were punished by having their activities suspended while an investigation was underway.

Sororities have also had their share of controversy due to derogatory incidents. In 2013, the University of Alabama was put on the hot seat when an exposé was published by a student-run newspaper, claiming that at least four sororities had denied a black woman a bid due to her race. The pledge had all of the prerequisites to join: a 4.3 GPA, was salutatorian of her graduating class, and had direct ties to the school. However, these predominantly white sororities appeared hesitant to the let the girl join, and, ultimately, did not.

Segregation has deep roots in these Greek organizations, which have a long history of systematic racism. Predominantly white fraternities and sororities became more popular after the Civil War, many being created to exclude students of different race, color, and religion as the student population became more diverse. To stop the potential of integrating students into one big “melting pot,” fraternities and sororities have historically worked to keep the lines of separation clear and evident. One could argue that these organizations have been built on racism and discrimination.

One of the most infamous and unfortunate aspects of Greek-life is hazing. Hazing has dated back to the 1800’s, and has been going on for decades in multiple college institutions. Horror stories upon horror stories about students doing ridiculous, degrading, and dangerous things when pledging have circulated for so long, that often the word “hazing” is very closely associated with fraternities and sororities. But throughout the last decade, hazing incidents have become more severe, with less and less students reporting it. According to healthresearchfunding.org, 1 of every 2 students is expected to adhere to a “Code of Silence” every time a hazing incident occurs. With this statistic, it is implied that thousands of hazing cases go unheard, allowing for them to be normal occurrences within the Greek system.

In light of these incidents, some ERHS students have chosen to stay away from Greek organizations. Junior Sarika Walia is one of them.

“There is a certain stereotype or stigma surrounding sororities. I would personally prefer to stay away from those associations,” she said. “I also find that it could be limiting to social growth as a student because you are mostly expected to interact with your frat or sorority.”

Although many Greek groups do serve the community and exemplify what model citizens are, many fraternities and sororities continue to perpetrate acts of racism, discrimination, and harassment. In light of these incidents, it is shown that many of these groups have created toxic environments for college students. When ERHS students were asked what can be done to change the social climate of these organizations, their answers varied.

Senior Trevor Kiggundu says that he believes that students should “bring more awareness to the issue.”

“Now that more people are speaking about it, colleges are slowly starting to crack down on it,” said Kiggundu.”We also need to stop supporting some of these organizations. If you know that a frat or sorority is unjust, don’t join them or support them.”

Chambers said she believes that severe repercussions need to be enacted for the groups that showcase these problematic behaviors, while fraternities and sororities that do the opposite should be supported.

“The colleges can first and foremost be very harsh when this type of behavior is shown on their campus or by their students,” said Chambers. “On the other side, the frats and sororities that are respectable, promote acceptance and the diversity of all people, should be supported and even promoted for their proper actions. Not all of them are bad, but the chapters that are need to be fazed out of the campuses.”