A Wise Decision for Boys Basketball

As students and fans filled the stands in preparation for the Raiders to play the Wise Pumas, there was a standout on the Roosevelt bench to start the game that would end with a 63-62 Raider win.

Senior small forward Tiwian Kendley did not have his name called during the lights out roll call for the starting line up. In fact he did not play all throughout the first quarter and did not have his name called until the second quarter was halfway done.

This decision by head coach Brendan O’Connell thrust sophomore Ishmail Jabbie into the starting line-up, and helped the Raiders in their one point win as they needed every advantage they could get.

“I know he’s only a sophomore in age, but he’s more mature out there on the court” said O’Connell about Jabbie.

“I didn’t play my best, but I just came in and tried to make an impact anyway that i could” said Jabbie about his play.

Even though Kendley was off to a stalled start, being on the bench, he still made two huge defensive plays in particular down the stretch to protect his teams one point lead in the waning moments of the game. When the Pumas forced a turnover and were off on a fast break, Kendley was the first one back and saved a basket with an emphatic block.

The Pumas got the ball back, and Kendley again came up with a big play, stripping the ball from a member of the opposing team and again helped save his teams one point lead.

No. 7 ranked Raiders improved to a 5-0 record, and they have a big contest in their next road game, playing against the Roddy Peter’s lead Suitland Rams in their stars last game before he has season ending  shoulder surgery.

Next, the Raiders face the Northwestern Wildcats in a home game after they return from break.