Tips for AP Students from AP Students

Emmanuela Otunuga, Staff Writer

Advanced Placement (AP) classes offer more difficult, college-level curricula to high school students, and are known to be very challenging and tough to pass. 

Several students here at Eleanor Roosevelt HS were asked what they think about the AP classes that they take.

Junior Alex McKenzie, who takes AP World History and AP Capstone, said that AP classes “are not hard, but they are a lot of work,” and AP Chemistry student sophomore Noah Absalon stated that AP classes “are difficult, but they are manageable.”

Below are some tips compiled from student responses to make students’ AP experiences a little more pleasurable:

1. Pick an AP class that you might actually enjoy. If you are thinking about taking an AP science class, but you absolutely can’t stand science, you might want to reconsider. Sophomore Juliet Jack, who takes AP Human Geography, stated, “I like [the class]. We talk a lot about things on a global scale and it’s nice to be aware of things that are happening outside the [United States].” Additionally, she said that the class is “different from other classes,” and that it’s “a fun mixture of history, science, and English, and I like that it’s challenging.”
  2. Actually do the work. AP classes demand more work than regular classes, so missing even just one homework assignment could bring your grade down significantly. “Don’t be that person who says ‘What about the homework?’,” said McKenzie.
  3. Don’t procrastinate. If you are a person that constantly waits to the last minute to finish a project or essay, you might want to change that habit. 
  4. Study, study, and study! Don’t be lazy – AP classes are very challenging, but if you study everyday for at least 30 minutes for the class you’re taking, it will get much easier. Senior Sarah McCarthy, who takes AP Psychology and AP English Language, said that it “takes dedication to the class to pass, but it’s worth it in the end.”
  5. Manage your time wisely. If you come home from school and play video games or go on social media instead of doing your homework, then you might not do so well in the class. If you need to, use an organizer to help you establish when it’s time to work and when it’s time to rest.
  6. Take time to relax. These classes require students to invest a lot of time outside of school, but that doesn’t mean you have to work all the time. You can take some time out of your day for leisure, but make sure all the important work is done first.
  7. Ask for help when necessary. Students may be in an Advanced Placement class, but that does not mean that they are not going to get stuck at times. Students can ask for assistance whenever it’s needed.
  8. Realize that nobody is perfect. It’s okay to make mistakes. Just relax and think things through; don’t stress over the little problems, and remember that having a bad day will not ruin anyone’s entire school career.