Polls

Who do you think will win the 2024 Superbowl?

• Chiefs (50%, 69 Votes)
  • 49ers (28%, 39 Votes)
  • Ravens (20%, 27 Votes)
  • Lions (1%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 137

Loading ... Loading ...

ERHS Commemorates 9/11

ROTC cadets created posters remembering September 11, 2001.

On Tuesday, twenty-five minutes into first period, Major Bova’s voice flooded the corridors and classrooms at ERHS.

The time read 8:57 am. “This is the moment when the first plane hit,” Bova explained, over the intercom. Eleven years later, Eleanor Roosevelt High School students are still immortalizing the spirits of the victims.

Monday morning before the announcements, ROTC cadets had set up a presentation of 9/11 posters in the main kiosk. They quietly stood at attention before the display, as a sign of respect to commemorate the victims of the tragedy. Later that morning, Major Bova requested a moment of silence over the PA. The silence from the students and faculty mirrored the respect the cadets displayed earlier.  Afterwards, ROTC cadet Nina Brown read a poem she was inspired to write for the families of 9/11 victims.

Last year was the first in which cadets took showcased their perspectives through illustrations. In previous years, “they used to just have a moment of silence on the intercom,” said Major Bova.

Their intent was to materialize their respect in a way that the rest of the student body could see. Though it is now mandatory for every level to do a poster, it is optional to be present at the ceremony. Senior level cadets are “expected to show leadership, while others wanted to be a part of what was going on,” added Bova.

One senior cadet, Sherling Pineda, described her connection with the tragedy: her uncle lost his wife. “It affected us all,” she said, “ so I understand the importance of having this memorial service.”

ROTC is best known for training their cadets for not only the real world, but also for those who are interested in pursuing a military career after high school. They learn “what it means to be a military member,” said Bova. He also added that “members are resolved to say, ‘I want to be a part of something where I can service my country.’”

Though the tragedy of 9/11 stroke this nation over a decade ago, students and faculty are still diligent in venerating and remembering what occurred on that somber day.