Cardio And Smoothie Bowls: Staying Fit During Distance Learning

Ayomiposi Ajayi

From online workouts to eating more fruits and vegetables, many Eleanor Roosevelt students strive to stay healthy and fit despite the exhausting demands of distance learning. Yet, there is still a majority of students who find themselves caught up in these conditions, making it harder for them to stay fit and maintain a healthy diet. Sixty percent of students reported that the amount of school work they have affects their ability to work out during the week. Regardless of having access to a gym or having a busy schedule, there are many ways to get or remain fit during online learning. 

Before beginning your daily mile run and/or jumping into your high-intensity workout, the first thing you need is motivation. Motivation is key to consistency, and consistency is how you see results. Firstly, you could rid yourself of all negative thoughts relating to incapability or laziness. These thoughts can cause you to develop an anxious and stressed mindset, leading to feelings of doubt and hesitation. Instead of thinking like this, you could use your time to plan out your day and make more time in your schedule. Though the school day might seem busy, try to find time during the wellness break to do a quick 15 minute workout or wake up 30 minutes earlier to go for a slight jog. 

Something to always keep in mind while on this journey, is that there are resources all around you. Since the beginning of quarantine, there has been a spike in the use of online workouts such as two-week shreds to target abs and arms. Though school began, this spike has not gone down, making distance learning the best opportunity to exercise. Understanding that you do not need expensive workout machines and gear is one of the biggest steps in achieving a healthy lifestyle. According to a survey, only 20% of students have access to a home gym, and though 80% have access to a public gym, the virus is ongoing, meaning this option is limited. A simple 15 minute video on your phone opens up a host of possibilities for getting or staying fit. Students have been reported to do workouts such as HITT (High Intensity Interval Training), calisthenics, dance, abs, stretching, cardio, and more.

As you are probably aware by now, diet plays a huge role in getting and staying fit. By this, I do not mean eating salads for every meal. There are many easy-to-access websites on the internet with different dietary options and even meal plans. A balanced diet consisting of protein (chicken, meat, eggs), fruits and vegetables, fiber rich foods (chia seeds, wheat bran), and a bit of fatty food (avocados, salmon) will make all the difference. Thirty percent of students reported not eating three meals a day at appropriate times. Though eating healthy and portioning is important, it is also important to eat three full meals in a day. To portion, I recommend using a smaller bowl or plate as well as smaller utensils. This helps trick the mind that you are eating more and therefore you feel full faster. Simple tricks such as substituting grapes for fruit snacks and apple slices for chips work for avoiding junk foods. 

So here it is, getting and staying healthy during online learning. It may seem difficult, but as you persevere through those workouts and munch on your apple slices, think of the benefits and future results of all your hard work. Good Luck!