No Time Like the Present To Plan Your Future

College. The bridge between childhood and a life of making your own decisions. The gateway to your future and endless possibilities that equip you for the adult world and beyond. No pressure, right? As seniors take these next steps towards their future, making the decisions that determine the route their lives take is enough. Add in the pressures of the many factors that influence their decision, and you get a concoction of conundrums. In an ideal scenario, one may choose the college of their dreams with no regrets in the future. But as we live in a world where better education comes at a greater price, the perfect college may not be a luxury today’s seniors can afford.

Literally.

Financial aid and loans may seem to be the solution to this crippling problem, but for some like Amritha Jayanti, being in debt is “Not worth it and that’s how a lot of people experience financial problems later in life. As long as you go to a reasonably good school, you get as much [benefit] as the [work] you put in.”

Likewise, Jalen Hickman believes the high prices are not worth spending so much money since he does not want to “work it off the rest of [his] life,” when his major is available in less expensive colleges.

Jayanti also looks at the programs the school provide, but places importance on the college campus as well.  

She says, “If I am going somewhere for four years, I want it to be a location I enjoy and can picture myself in.”

When asked whether the high price of schooling would deter him from choosing a dream school, Vishnu Rachakonda adamantly replied, “No. I would take out loans for my dream school. It’s too much of a knee jerk reaction to think I can’t afford it. If you have to go through a little financial belt tightening, your education is worth it.”

Hoping to pursue an education in engineering, Amidat Sonekan decided to apply to Georgia Tech. Knowing out of state colleges would be expensive; money was not a factor in applying since it was her dream school from the start.

When asked why, she stated, “I knew it was a top engineering school and decided to apply after meeting the engineering dean and some students at a [National Society of Black Engineers]conference. I already have a network there and everything.”  

In a time of the great unknown, some seniors are faced with the comforting, and attractive option of following in their family’s footsteps. While this may seem like the path of least resistance, some students at Eleanor Roosevelt, like Kayla Allison, chose to go against the grain.

“My dad wanted me to go to a community college, while my sister said to me, ‘Kayla, you can go to your dream school.’ My sister had done just that, so I decided I would go to my dream school.”

Allison had decided to pursue a career in pediatric dentistry, and discovered that University of Pennsylvania provided just the program that would suit her interest to “help children smile brighter.”

Other deciding factors for students as they make this important decision is the ability to learn in the college environment.

Fellow senior, Alex Cook wants  “An environment where [he] can focus on [his] education” along with attending a school with “rigorous courses and programs at a school with a good reputation and morale.”

Who would be more apt to providing helpful tips to underclassmen about the college decision and application process than the seniors who experienced it? Seniors seem to have a large amount of wisdom to share.  Allison shares the difficulties of this stressful time and embodies it as “demanding. It creeps up on you. It’s hard to expose yourself to colleges, especially when you want to put your best self forward.”

Rachakonda advocates to all who plan on applying for college to “Take the SAT early” and to place emphasis on essays that make the impression that ”not only am I a qualified candidate, but I am unique and can make a lasting impact.” Jayanti agreed and added that “The numbers and scores are what define you, but your essay is what brings you to life.”

While some may want to fabricate facts to impress their schools, Sonekan suggests to, “Be honest. Schools want to know who you are, not some made up genius you try to portray yourself as on paper.  The examples in your essays are what sell the true you.”

With heightening pressure on many students’ shoulders as they face such a turning point in their lives, they can only hope that these influential factors offer prosperity and success for their future ahead.