Gun Free Schools Are Magnets For Bad People, Said POTUS

Dayana Foster, Managing Editor

At the end of February, U.S. President Donald Trump took to Twitter to suggest that arming teachers is a possible solution to the rampant and common school shootings occurring across the nation and to simultaneously accuse news sources CNN and NBC of reporting fake news.

According to his official twitter, @realDonaldTrump, President Trump believes that the nation should consider “the possibility of giving ‘concealed guns to gun adept teachers with military or special training experiences’…” He added that “A ‘gun free’ school is a magnet for bad people” and that if the country armed its teachers, “ATTACKS WOULD END!”

President Trump has suggested, according to his twitter, that trained teachers who carried firearms would be given a pay raise. This has raised question as to where those funds for increased pay raises will come from when many schools still lack proper funds for already established salaries.

The proposal of arming teachers in response to school shootings has been met with much expected controversy. Teachers, parents, students, and lawmakers have taken to social media to express the concerns over putting more guns in schools.

In response to the President’s tweets, AP Government and AP Psychology teacher Ms. Pottinger commented that Trump “is stating his opinions…as though they are facts. We don’t know how this arming teachers would cause someone who intends to do harm to us to respond.”

“I think that arming teachers presents more problems than solutions” she adds, reflecting the views of many other like-minded teachers and students concerned for their safety.