Enjoy Your High School Experience

©2007 DISNEY CHANNEL

HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 2 – School’s out for summer and now, the competition moves from the fields of high school to the lawns of high society — also known as the Country Club, not coincidentally founded by Sharpay’s grandfather. When the other East High students get summer jobs there, before long, they face off over the country club’s annual mid-summer’s night musical production, on “High School Musical 2,” airing on XXX on the Disney Channel. (DISNEY CHANNEL/FRED HAYES) (FRONT) MONIQUE COLEMAN, CORBIN BLEU, VANESSA HUDGENS, ZAC EFRON, ASHLEY TISDALE, LUCAS GRABEEL – PERFORMING “WHAT TIME IS IT”

Ayanna Jones-Reid, Staff Writer

High school can be very stressful when you’re trying to do everything and please everyone around you. You’re writing college essays, taking the SATs, getting recommendations, developing resumes – all while maintaining your grades.

But at the same time, we have more freedom. For those of you who drive, you know exactly what I mean by freedom. I’m sure plenty of us think that once we become adults that automatically makes us independent. So we look forward to turning 18. It seems like all we do is go through our days looking forward to better ones. High schoolers look forward to college, people in college look forward to careers, people with jobs looks forward to the weekends. It’s a never-ending cycle. We are so focused on the future that we forget about the present.

I’ve been counting down the days until graduation since my freshman year. Not until recently have I realized that instead of rushing for this experience to be over, I should take this time to enjoy it while it last. I was focused on all the wrong things. Even through the drama and stress, I guarantee you can find some enjoyment in this experience. Yes, getting good grades and planning your  future is important, but so is your life. You deserve to have fun and enjoy yourself.

Don’t wait for everything to be perfect before you decide to enjoy your life. Take some time out of your day to just breathe, relax, have fun, and make memories. Worry about your future when you get there, live for the day.

Soon you’ll be taking your last test and receiving your last report card. One day you’ll go to your last homecoming dance and parade. One day you’ll be screaming at your last pep rally. Soon your graduation date will arrive and you’ll be standing there holding your diploma in your cap and gown. One day you’ll find yourself standing face to face with your best friends saying goodbye as you all start a new chapter in your life. Don’t wish for this experience to be over so soon, because you might regret it.