Outdoor Track: Raiders Set For Their Final Stretch of Meets

Ngozi Aghanya, Staff Writer

Raider girls’ and boys’ outdoor track teams’ season commences with a routinely plan: practice every week to condition runners’ bodies and improve their proficiency. In the month of April they are focusing on practice to meet their opponent’s standards for the next month’s important meets.  

Currently, the track team is mainly consisted of freshmen and sophomores runners. “It’s a pretty young team, so we’re just going to do the best we can,” said Assistant Coach Jason Powell.

The team has yet to find their particular member to lead the team due to inexperience, but do have many talented runners looking to make a name for themselves in the near future.

Evaluations are made continuously in practice to know the condition of each runner and know who to place in each event at the meets. “Each week we try to get better and help freshmen meet their individual goals,” said Coach Champ. He added that “the goal is the same every year.”

“Personally I always try to do better, try and become the best. I’m always ready to compete, I just have to trust myself and go out there to run,” said sophomore Opeyemi Olayiwola.

“Practicing hard, taking care of our bodies, and competing, is the goal,” said Coach Powell. This upcoming month will be filled of ruthless competitions. “It will begin with every school in the county then later in May every school in the state,” said Coach Powell.

Although things may seem habitual, the team is still working on a reputation to portray themselves as a dominant force again and bring back the honor to the Roosevelt track team name. “Together we are trying to set a name for ourselves,” stated Coach Powell.