Eleanor Roosevelt High School’s 40th Anniversary

Sabah Rana, Student Life Editor

Eleanor Roosevelt High School, situated in Greenbelt since 1976, will celebrate its fortieth anniversary this year. The school now houses over 2,500 students and 137 faculty and staff members.

Throughout its forty years, the school has won praise and recognition for its students’ academic and athletic achievements, as well as for its teachers’ work and dedication. Mr. Shands, one of the administrators of the school, said “every anniversary is significant,” but went on to say that “because of the tremendous success students have shown, this anniversary is even more special.”

To honor the milestone, alumni and friends are being asked to make $40 donations in order to “support the activities that help Eleanor Roosevelt High School students become well-rounded young adults, ready to become productive citizens in our world,” as stated by the school’s official website.

Many students were unaware that this year has some significance in regards to the school. Upon finding out, almost all of the students interviewed said they believed that it should be celebrated. Senior Richard Ojlo said, “they should give us an entire week off of school.” On the other hand, a few students like senior Joefel Lapira were already up-to-date regarding the event. He said he believes “it’s not a big deal,” and would be “more impressed with a 50th anniversary.”

“Alumni and parents usually come in and plan celebrations for the school’s milestones,” said Mr. Shands. “So far, there is nothing officially planned from the school.”