Teacher Feature: Ms. Kiersten Gregory

Ms.+Kiersten+Gregory+in+her+classroom.+

Zsyrii Ennis

Ms. Kiersten Gregory in her classroom.

Zsyrii Ennis, Staff Writer

Ms. Kiersten Gregory joins the staff of Eleanor Roosevelt High School this year as a 9th and 10th grade English teacher.

She began teaching 11 years ago at Andrew Jackson Middle School in Prince George’s County. Prior to teaching at ERHS, she also taught at Forestville High School and Flowers High School.

Ms. Gregory said her inspiration for teaching English came from her 12th grade English teacher, who made her fall in love with literature. After that encounter, Ms. Gregory decided to attend Trinity University, Bowie University and, briefly, NYU to become an English Teacher. She said she made the decision to teach here after teaching summer school here for a number of years saying “it was like coming back to a familiar place.”

Ms. Gregory said she prefers to teach English, but if she had to teach another subject it would be US History or some type of Social Studies. Between her 11 years of teaching English she has taught grades 7th through 12th, and said she “enjoys working with the big kids”. While teaching 9th and 10th grade here, she said believes that she is able to “groom and challenge” her students.

Freshman Elizabeth Kennedy shared that “she’s a nice teacher and makes me like reading a little more” and that the class makes her “really excited to learn”.

Teachers and administrators at the school also said they are glad she works here.

Mr. Avery Taylor, the 9th grade administrator said he has worked with Ms. Gregory during summer school and evening school, and that “we are definitely grateful to have her here.”

“She’s very intelligent, very professional” Mr. Taylor said, and “she has a good rapport with the students.”